Premature hair loss is an embarrassing and stressful experience. You may have been thinking about getting surgical hair replacement surgery for a long time but don’t know where to begin.
Hair transplantation surgery is far more complex than most people realize, with equal amounts of benefits and risks involved. The key to maximizing benefits and minimizing risk is choosing the right doctor to perform the procedure.
Am I Ready for Hair Transplant Surgery?
If you are experiencing male or female pattern baldness, or have suffered hair loss from scalp injury or as the result of previous plastic surgery procedures, then you are a candidate for hair replacement surgery.
Keep these issues in mind as you think about what questions to ask about the surgery and your potential doctor:
- Your age
- Hair loss history in your family
- Your present hairline and facial structure
- Desired outcome
Researching Hair Transplant Surgeons
Many surgeons have the basic skills necessary to perform hair transplantation, but it takes more than technical knowledge to achieve exactly the result desired by the patient – it also requires a certain level of artistry that can only come from a hair restoration specialist.
Here are a few useful thoughts to keep in mind as you select a hair replacement surgeon:
- Inexperienced practitioners or surgeons who don’t specialize in this kind of surgery are more likely to leave you with a result that is noticeably artificial-looking.
- Unless they have undergone the procedure themselves, it is unlikely that your friends and family understand the procedure and are probably unreliable sources of information.
- Take the time to thoroughly research any medical group or doctor before undergoing a procedure.
- Finding the right practitioner may include some travel. Remember, you’re looking for the best surgeon, not the one located nearest to you.
- Hair restoration involves a considerable investment of your time and finances. It is worth the extra effort to make sure you have found the practitioner who will deliver the results you want.
What To Look for In a Hair Transplant Specialist:
- They are good listeners
- They are able to explain all available treatment options and recommend the one that will deliver the best possible results for you
- They have undergone rigorous training
- They have earned board certifications or credentials
- They have held at least one medical residency
- They are up-to-date and experienced in the latest hair restoration technology and techniques
Questions To Ask About Your Surgeon
Once you have chosen a potential hair restoration specialist, finding answers to the following questions will help you determine if you will choose them to perform the procedure:
- How long have they been in practice?
- How many hair transplant procedures have they performed?
- What board certifications or credentials do they hold?
- Do they specialize in hair restoration?
- Will they show you Before/After pictures of previous patients?
Questions To Ask Your Surgeon About the Procedure
Your hair loss experience is a sensitive and uncomfortable topic of conversation, but you will have to be completely honest with your doctor and their staff to make sure you get the best treatment and desired outcome.
Here are a few questions you can ask your doctor to get the process started:
- What can I expect from my examination and evaluation before you make your treatment recommendation?
- Will you be performing the procedure yourself – if so, which parts of the surgery will be handled by staff?
- What method do you recommend? Why?
- How many follow-up appointments are required post-op?
- What can I do after surgery to maintain a full head of hair?
Benefits Of Hair Replacement Surgery
There are many benefits to look forward to – provided you take the time and care to find the right surgeon for you:
- In most cases, the results of hair replacement are permanent.
- Hair transplantation is cheaper than any other method and is a one-time cost.
- The results of this procedure are determined by the patient’s aesthetic goals and sense of what looks right for them.
- You can look forward to a boost in self-confidence and a healthier, more attractive, and youthful appearance.
Risks Of Hair Replacement Surgery
There are also many risks and downsides to the procedure if you do not put enough time into making sure you have found the right practitioner:
- Infection of the hair follicles
- Scalp swelling
- Chronic itching
- The chance of “shock loss” – the loss of transplanted hair
- Hair follicles dying off before the hair has a chance to regenerate, which could result in a bumpy scalp
Are You Ready to Change Your Life For The Better With Hair Replacement Surgery?
Dr. James Aronovitz has almost 20 years of experience with hair restoration procedures. He is Board Certified and his knowledgeable staff of qualified technicians is happy to answer any questions you might have about surgical hair restoration.